Sunday, June 10, 2007

Knit One yarn sale

I am proud of myself. Lisa and I hit the big sale at Knit One this morning around 9:30, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not completely crazy as expected. The checkout line was actually quick and efficient (note to Knit One: whatever you did today to get people through the line quickly, do that again all the time).

Usually at these things I get overwhelmed and turn into a magpie, buying bits and bobs of yarn I think are pretty or interesting and then they sit unused in my stash. This time. I bought yarn for three projects and spent "only" $110:
  • "UltraFemme" from Stitch and Bitch Nation, also shown on Knitty Gritty, yarn as called for in the pattern
  • "Tempting," from Knitty (what can I say, I like Jenna Adorno's designs), Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a beautiful pewter blue color. I'm currently making one in taupe for my sister, and after all the MDK knitting I've been doing, it was so nice to knock out a few inches of that sweater while visiting with Lisa.
  • Two skeins of Koigu sock yarn in a lovely red colorway. I've never knit socks before! Any tips or hints for a beginner? What pattern should I use? Should I teach myself the Magic Loop method or muddle through on DPNs?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh! What great yarn for a first sock. I am a DPN gal. I never took the time to learn magic loop. I read and re-read this website ( http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html) before I jumped into a pattern. I found it before I found the Yarn Harlots sock recipe in which ever book that is in.... not the last one, but the one before that. but it is also good as a basic sock pattern. Knitty also has a sock 101 article with a pattern for a mini-practice sock http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/FEATsocks101.html

Happy knitting!!

Amy said...

Sounds like a productive trip! Sorry I couldn't join you - a high school friend was in town and could only see us that morning.

I use the yarn harlot's sock recipe for basic socks, and I'm a fan of dpns, but I've tried magic loop, too. Let me know if you need any help! :-)